Many people complain regarding their inability to overcome their life problems, to carry out their resolve, and to work right to the end until their goal is accomplished. Although there is motivation, wisdom, resources, and capability existence, they let distractions overpower them. Such distractions are great obstacles that shake Muslim strength to stay firm.
About distractions God says:
Every soul will taste death. And We test you with evil and with good as trial; and to Us you will be returned” [Quran.com 21:35]
Allah wants to accept your repentance, but those who follow [their] lusts want you to digress [into] a great deviation./And Allah wants to lighten for you [your difficulties]; and mankind was created weak.” [Quran.com4:27]
So, people are created with a natural disposition (fitrah) to follow the right path, to know God, and with inner faculties yearn for God. Losing these results in disorientation. God is so merciful to His creation that even reflecting on nature brings you back to Him.
How to Overcome Distractions?
- Focusing on the Task at Hand
- Temporary tasks: people always lose track of what they have come to do and find themselves doing something else, or often in the case of computers and phones and many other things. So to end up the dilemma of forgetting what was willing to do, close every application, website and file other than what you are working on. Moreover, don’t use a mental to-do list, instead write every intention down in a very apparent close place and try to memorize it whenever it possible. It is very important to set intentions clearly before doing anything, and try to narrow down it, in order not to lose everything. Islam places much more wisdom and emphasis on making intention:
“Actions are by their intentions” [Bukhari & Muslim]
- Eternal task: The purpose of life is to return to God. To escape from the temporary life (Donia) to the eternal paradise (Jannah). Hence, every action and deed should relate to this goal. Allah says:
”Indeed, my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah , Lord of the worlds.” (Quran.com/6/162) Wherever a Muslims find himself away from God and indulged in the distractions of life, he must stay away from the distractions of life and repent to God. Allah says:
”And know that your properties and your children are but a trial and that Allah has with Him a great reward.” (Quran.com/8/28) Even these things can be a distraction.
- Create a suitable environment: A conducive environment helps a great deal in executing any plan. Avoid sitting in inappropriate environment, surround yourself with good friends, and create suitable environment and create a work-space with relevant resources to get things done without interruption or interference.
- Make everything related to one another: Don’t ever distract yourself from reality. This life is temporary and death can be anytime. One should be productive as much as he can. For example, movies and media in general, many movies have no purpose and with no benefit. They just distract people from the surrounded truth and not facing reality to a world that does not exist. Thus, they control and occupy the whole mind. Instead, connect every deed with an intention or more. For example, let movies and programs serve your career and intellectual growing. Therefore, do only what you know is beneficial and makes you more productive.
- Be Aware of Allah: Remember that God is The Watchful (Ar-Raqib) and All Seeing (Al-Basir) and watching everything you do. Every action is being recorded, and one day you will be questioned for all of your actions. Many distractions are often a route towards haram from the use of the Internet, social networking sites, and even pornography. Even when one is engrossed in the virtual world. For instance, one can become so engrossed in workload that he forgets to pray. This work itself becomes a distraction from duty towards Allah and attentiveness towards those around him. Thus, if one is tired and have forgotten Allah, then the work that he is doing is not going to be as productive as it can be.