One day I was walking down the street and suddenly found this gorgeous girl all covered up in what they call hijab, I call it Oppression myself.
I thought to myself, it’s very sunny and hot why would she do that to herself unless she was forced?! I mean this is a total nonsense.
I was so curious by this scene that I couldn’t hold back myself, I gathered up my courage and went straight to her, when I saw 2 beautiful boys running into her arms and laughing out loudly. Their eyes were full of love to her and their innocent smiles were speaking out loud with the sense of security and belonging, only hoping to see how proud their mum is.
My eyes couldn’t stop watching every action she does, she seemed like a great wife and a very normal mum, but surely she knows nothing in life with that scarf on her head, I told myself.
Suddenly one guy who is jogging next to me fell down and turned yellow. The lady hurried up to him and gave him a first aid. I was shocked. She said she’s a doctor and that we need to call the emergency because she’s suspecting a heart attack.
The ambulance came to take the man. And my curiosity was up to the top by now.
– I asked her: “You are a doctor!?”
– She said: “Yeah!” With a warm smile that lightened up her face. She introduced herself, her husband and the kids to me without me even asking and invited me for some coffee.
– “No thanks” I said. “I just want to understand why do you have to wear this scarf or what you call hijab? Why can’t you just be free like us? Why can’t you just say no to your husband?”.
– “And what does my husband has to do with my hijab? ” She said
– “Isn’t he forcing you to cover yourself up like that?” I replied
– “No off course not, I wear it because I obey Allah (GOD) the Almighty as I am Muslim. I accepted the terms and conditions of this religion; and He the Almighty clarified to me that there are two paths, if I choose to follow His commands then I will be happy here and in the Hereafter, and if I choose the opposite then He told me I will be unhappy here and in the Hereafter”.
– She Continued: “But let me tell you the story of hijab from the beginning if you allow me.
Hijab in Arabic means to hide something. Islam sees the woman as precious as a diamond. Their bodies are not an open sale item to be seen, touched and tried by everyone. They are so honored that they are the ones who choose to be seen and touched by whom . If you see me oppressed, you are totally wrong. I feel the freedom that a lot of women in this world don’t feel. I feel that I am appreciated for who I am not how tempting I look.
Allah the Almighty has put this precise law called Sharia that organizes the whole life and all the tiny details that follow.
Since islam has put a great consideration in preserving the rights of each and every member of it; it made sure that it keeps the pedigree from mixing. And it Prohibited anything that leads to that. Starting from Adultery ending with hijab and lowering the gaze from the opposite Sex in an attempt to prevent attraction and connection of the heart, that will order the body to obey !
Allah (Creator of Heavens and Earth) the Almighty said:
Tell the believing men to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do.And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers, their brothers’ sons, their sisters’ sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.” [Quran/24/30-31]
Hijab actually prevents women from harassments
Allah the Almighty said:
O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.” [Quran/33/59]
If you think that is not true, and that everyone should be free to dress whatever they like, then maybe you might want to check out this experiment yourself, to see the difference between a modest and an immodest women:
Let me end this up by telling you that Hijab isn’t a new thing invented by Islam, it’s there in the Torah and the Bible. If you see that pictures of Virgin Mary who is the icon of purity and virtuous in Islam you will find that she was totally veiled”.
A complete confusion was clear on my face!
– She said: “I know you are totally confused now, but I ask you to please stop hearing about us from the media. We are not on camels and surrounded by deserts. We don’t hang around bombing ourselves. We are normal people, successful ones, we hope to live in a world without violence where we are treated from whom we are not how we look”.
If you want to know more about Islam and its teachings please read the Quran and its translation and make your own mind about its commands instead of being forced to think in a certain way.
She left me with that warm smile she first met me with.