Have they convinced you that the Muslim woman is oppressed by being veiled, not being able to work, and getting half of what the man gets in inheritance?
Then maybe you need to read the following lines to know the truth and set aside what the media is falsely trying to describe for you.
In Islam, greater financial security is assured for women. Women in Islam have been given more financial security, in comparison with men. They are entitled to receive marital gifts, to keep present and future properties and income for their own security. No married woman is required to spend a penny from her property, income or dowry on her household. She is entitled to full financial support during marriage and during her ‘Iddah (waiting period after divorce) in case of divorce- and if she has children, she is also entitled to child support.
The woman in Islam as a wife
Allah (Creator of Heavens and Earth) the Almighty said:
Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore, the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband’s) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).” [Quran.com/4/34]
It is ‘The responsibility’ of the Muslim man towards his wife to support her financially, even if she’s working and earning an income, even if she’s rich and can get all of that for herself are:
1. The mahr (dowry). This is the money to which the wife is entitled from her husband when the marriage contract is completed or when the marriage is consummated. It is a right which the man is obliged to pay to the woman. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):
And give to the women (whom you marry) their Mahr (obligatory bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage) with a good heart [Quran.com/4/4]
The prescription of the mahr demonstrates the seriousness and importance of the marriage-contract and is a token of respect and honor to the woman.
- A house for her and her children to live in, in which their health and dignity are properly protected.
- Clothing: with which they protect themselves from the heat of the summer and the coldness of the winter, and which is equivalent to what their mates wear!
- Food: by which they can eat properly without exceeding nor parsimony.
- Medicine: for both the woman and the kids.
- Education fees for his children.
Sayings from the Sunnah (actions and saying of the prophet Mohammad peace and blessings be upon him) to guarantee full expenditure for the woman:
- (20025) (2142) narrated that Mu’aawiyah ibn Haydah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: I said, “O Messenger of Allah, what are the rights of the wife of any one of us over him?” He said: “That you should feed her when you feed yourself, clothe her when you clothe yourself, you should not hit her on the face, you should not curse her and you should not forsake her except in the house.” [Ahmad and Abu Dawood]
- Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: “Whatever you spend seeking thereby the Pleasure of Allah, will have its reward, even the morsel which you put in the mouth of your wife.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
- He also said: “It is enough sin for a person to hold back the due of one whose provision is in his hand.” [Riyad as-Salihin]
- It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (RAA) said: “Hind bint ‘Utbah, the wife of Abu Sufyaan, entered upon the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, Abu Sufyaan is a stingy man who does not spend enough on me and my children, except for what I take from his wealth without his knowledge. Is there any sin on me for doing that?’ The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, ‘Take from his wealth on a reasonable basis, only what is sufficient for you and your children.’” [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]
- It was narrated from Jaabir that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said in his Farewell Sermon:
Fear Allah concerning women! Verily you have taken them on the security of Allah, and intercourse with them has been made lawful unto you by words of Allah. You too have rights over them, and that they should not allow anyone to sit on your bed [i.e., not let them into the house] whom you do not like. But if they do that, you can chastise them but not severely. Their rights upon you are that you should provide them with food and clothing in a fitting manner” [Sahih Muslim]
The woman in Islam as a daughter, sister, or mother!
She’s not supposed to pay a penny out of her money, but instead, she should be spent upon guaranteeing her an honorable life, without putting her under any pressure to contribute financially in anything. And in case she does contribute, that will be considered a voluntary rewarded by Allah act that she does for her family and not an obligation by any means.
Give me one single religion that has honored the woman in such a manner?!
Islam treats Muslim women as real queens.