The Islamic month of Rajab happens to start on the 23rd of January 2023 and will end on the 20th of February 2023. Muslims all over the world have and will always honor the month of Rajab. Why? This is what we will learn in this article so, here we go….
Here we will learn the following:
What is the month of Rajab?
The month of Rajab is the seventh month of the Lunar-based Islamic calendar. The word Rajab comes from the Arabic word ‘Tarjeeb’ which means glorification. Rajab is one of the “Four Sacred Months” in Islam as stated in this Ayah of the Quran:
“إِنَّ عِدَّةَ ٱلشُّهُورِ عِندَ ٱللَّهِ ٱثْنَا عَشَرَ شَهْرًۭا فِى كِتَـٰبِ ٱللَّهِ يَوْمَ خَلَقَ ٱلسَّمَـٰوَٰتِ وَٱلْأَرْضَ مِنْهَآ أَرْبَعَةٌ حُرُمٌۭ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ ٱلدِّينُ ٱلْقَيِّمُ ۚ فَلَا تَظْلِمُوا۟ فِيهِنَّ أَنفُسَكُمْ ۚ “(Quran 9:36)
“Indeed, the number of months ordained by Allah is twelve—in Allah’s Record since the day He created the heavens and the earth—of which four are sacred. That is the Right Way. So do not wrong yourselves and one another during these months”
Three of the four sacred months are successive; Dhul-Qa‘dah, Dhul-Hijjah, Al-Muharram and Rajab is the separate one. The month of Rajab is also called ‘Rajab al-Fard’ or ‘Rajab the Separate One’.
Most pre-Islamic Arab tribes respected the four sacred months, especially the Arabian Muddar tribe that adamantly glorified its cease-fire; that’s why it is commonly called ‘Rajab of Muddar’.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) stated the four sacred months in this part of hadith saying:
… السَّنَةُ اثْنَا عَشَرَ شَهْرًا مِنْهَا، أَرْبَعَةٌ حُرُمٌ، ثَلاَثٌ مُتَوَالِيَاتٌ، ذُو الْقَعْدَةِ وَذُو الْحِجَّةِ وَالْمُحَرَّمُ وَرَجَبُ مُضَرَ الَّذِي بَيْنَ جُمَادَى وَشَعْبَانَ ”.
The year is twelve months, four of which are sacred. Three of them are in succession; Dhul-Qa’da, Dhul-Hijja and Al-Muharram, and (the fourth being) Rajab Mudar (named after the tribe of Mudar as they used to respect this month) which stands between Jumad (ath-thani) and Sha’ban.”
What is special about the month of Rajab?
The month of Rajab is basically special due to it being one of the four sacred months. During these months war is prohibited completely for everyone by Allah, Mercy is poured on people and Allah rewards His servants generously for each and every good deed. BUT, what is special about the month of Rajab? Here are some reasons:
- During Rajab safe travel is ensured for everyone especially pilgrims while traveling going on their Major Hajj or minor Hajj (Umrah), same as during the other three sacred months. However, it’s important to note that Rajab is not of the months of hajj.
- Rajab is the month when “The Night Journey and The Ascension” of Muhammad Peace be upon him took place.
- Being a sacred month; Mercy of Allah is poured upon people, rewards are multiplied for good deeds and penalties are multiplied for bad deeds.
- Some Muslim scholars hold the opinion that Diyyah (Blood money) is increased by a third if the murder took place during a sacred month; as it is not only a major sin of murder but also violating Allah’s cease fire.
What are the Benefits of the month of Rajab?
There are several benefits of the month of Rajab but we will state three here:
- Rajab is a month when deeds’ rewards are multiplied by Allah for each good-deed done for His sake alone as it is the case during the rest of the sacred months.
- Rajab is a month when deeds’ penalties are multiplied by Allah for each bad-deed as it is the case during the rest of the sacred months.
- Safety during travels is ensured by Allah’s mercy due to the cease of war everywhere.
Fasting during the month of Rajab
There is no authentic evidence that makes fasting during the month of Rajab extra special except for being a sacred month when all rewards for good deeds are multiplied. Therefore, it is Sunnah during any Islamic month, especially the sacred ones including Rajab, to fast Mondays, Thursdays and the three middays the 13th, 14th and 15th.
This is mentioned in this Hadith:
إِذَا صُمْتَ شَيْئًا مِنَ الشَّهْرِ فَصُمْ ثَلاَثَ عَشْرَةَ وَأَرْبَعَ عَشْرَةَ وَخَمْسَ عَشْرَةَSunan An-Nasa’i
The Messenger of Allah said:
“if you want to fast at any time during the month then fast on the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.”
It is always a good idea to double, triple and even more increase of all voluntary worship acts and all good deeds for the extra rewards bestowed by Allah during Rajab as a sacred month.
Conclusion: Importance of the month of Rajab
The importance of the Islamic seventh month of Rajab is one of four sacred months when good deeds are greatly rewarded and a cease of fire is enforced as a Mercy from Allah. Fasting, charity, prayers, Du,aa and all acts of obedience either obligatory or voluntary are appreciated by our Lord and greatly rewarded.
How about you try fasting (Islamic Sawm) for one day during Rajab and share your experience with us on our social media or live chat?!