Once upon a time, there was a man who engaged with life to the extent that he has lost his soul in this life. Maybe he seemed to know the purpose of life. Otherwise, he was going on as fast as possible to be in harmony with this materialistic life. The result was….admiring appearance and empty reality. This was our miserable hero till he came to a turning point in his life. He knew that Muslims are about to celebrate the coming of the most favorable month for them, Ramadan, and he was curious. So, he traveled to his Muslim friend to know more from him, and to see by himself.
Let’s Accompany Him:
Firstly, he knows some facts about this month:
- It is called Ramadan, the 9th month in Islamic Calendar.
- Fasting Ramadan begins from the break of dawn to the setting of the sun.
- It is one of the fifth pillars of Islam. Like any act of worship in Islam, it is like a 2 faced coin; one for submission to Allah (the only One God), & the other for achieving happiness in this life & Hereafter.
As Allah says in the Qur’an:
O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous.” [Qur’an 2:183](1)
The Almighty also says:
[Fasting for] a limited number of days. So whoever among you is ill or on a journey [during them] – then an equal number of days [are to be made up]. And upon those who are able [to fast, but with hardship] – a ransom [as substitute] of feeding a poor person [each day]…” [Qur’an 2:184](2)
Combination Between Reason and Passion:
As a practical person, our hero was more admired by the compassionate part. He suffered alot because his soul was empty. When the time of breaking fast came, he decided to wander in the streets to know more.
Moments of Light !
He was astonished to see volunteers in the streets giving dates and juice to the passerbys to break their fast. Sometimes there were free food gatherings for the poor and needy. When he asked his friend about that, he said to him, ‘no wander….Muslims believe in doubling the reward in these days and multiplied more in the night of decree ‘ Laylat Al-Qadr’. After returning home, our hero found his friend’s relative there. He knew that Ramadan encourages to renew relations and end disputes. The important part of this spirit is The Noble Qur’an (the Book of Allah). By reciting, understanding , applying It, everything can change.
Muslims know that Prophet Muhammad was the most generous of all the people. He used to be more generous in the month of Ramadan. Gabriel used to meet him every night in Ramadan to study the Holy Qur’an carefully together. Allah’s Messenger (PBUH) used to become more generous than the fast wind when he met Gabriel.
Moreover, as Islam is balance, it doesn’t ignore reason:
- There is a relationship between fasting and the immune system.
- There is a relationship between fasting and prevention from obesity as well as a treatment of its dangers.
- Fasting diminishes a lot of sexual desires and alleviates its urge, especially among the youth.
- Fasting protects the body from the toxins accumulated in its cells and between its tissues which result from eating food.
- Fasting enhances the endurance of physical effort, and the competence of muscular performance.
- Experiments have been conducted by a scientist in this respect, who said, in reference to the results, that the competence of muscular performance of people who are fasting in this interesting experiment improved by 20% with 30% of the subjects, and by 7% with 40%. In addition, the heart rate has improved by 6%; and the product of multiplying the blood pressure by the pulse speed improved by 12%; also the feeling of shortness of breath by 9%; and the feeling of leg strain by 11%.
- During this period, all mechanisms of absorption are really activate. The metabolism is balanced, giving way to the creation of a mechanism by which glycogen is dissolved. Fats are oxidized and dissolved, and protein is dissolved and new glucose is formed from it. The body suffers no imbalance in any of its functions.(3)
By the end of this journey, our hero comes to 2 conclusions:
- Any religion that doesn’t meet people needs & amend their faults practically is false for sure.
- If you want to know about person, listen from him at first; not about him.
Are you wondering if Ramadan is a special month for Muslims to that extent. check out more about this month: Ramadan Q. & A.