Though losing weight during Ramadan isn’t one of the main goals of Sawm ‘Fasting’; it is always lawful to pursue strategies to keep healthy and fit because this is one of ‘The Five Main Goals of Islamic Sharia’.
In this article we will discuss TEN MAIN STRATEGIES to accomplish a reasonable weight loss during Ramadan while maintaining a great amount of energy throughout the day based on the recommendations of Sunnah and medicine.
Here we will learn the following:
- 1. CREATING A CALORIC DEFICIT
- 2. Making a realistic attainable goal
- 3. Doctors and nutritionists advise
- 4. Have smaller plates
- 5. Follow the Sunnah of the Messenger PBUH while Eating
- 6. Don’t use ready-made salad dressings
- 7. Do Hydrate
- 8. Never Get Food-shop nor eat While Hungry
- 9. Don’t over or under sleep
- 10. Keep Food natural
- 11. Do Exercising
Here are the ten suggested strategies on how to lose weight during Ramadan:
1. CREATING A CALORIC DEFICIT
The best way to control or lose weight during Ramadan is by CREATING A CALORIC DEFICIT that may be accomplished by:
- Decreasing calorie intake
- Increasing daily activity and exercise to burn more calories consumed
- A combination of both strategies which is the smart way to get satisfactory results.
So in short, to lose weight during Ramadan, it is best to create a caloric deficit by combining both strategies; decreasing calorie intake and increasing daily activity to burn more calories consumed and stored fat.
2. Making a realistic attainable goal
Making a realistic attainable goal of losing two to five Kilos during Ramadan is reasonable and more likely to get accomplished to avoid disappointment.
3. Doctors and nutritionists advise
Doctors and nutritionists advise to start your meals with fibers in verges as a salad and then have your protein portion and end with a carbohydrate reasonable amount and a bit of fat to balance your meal. The best percentages for calories are: 10%–35% of calories from protein, 45%–65% from carbohydrates, and 20%–35% of calories from fat.
4. Have smaller plates
Some great tricks, for those who have difficulty controlling their portions, is to have smaller plates and not to have the whole pot on table, instead you just have the served smaller plates while slowly chewing and eating.
This will fool your brain as you finish your food-plate into fullness and decrease your desire to have refills.
5. Follow the Sunnah of the Messenger PBUH while Eating
Follow the Sunnah of the Messenger PBUH while Eating to make the best of Ramadan worship wise to be amongst those who win the best rewards for it Inshaa’ Allah in both this life and the afterlife. For example:
- Do all established Sunnah of daily Salaht and Taraweeh as well as Qiyam as regularly as possible.
- Do not fill your stomach with lots of food because a full stomach leads to laziness and low energy.
- Delaying Suhur (pre-dawn meal) and hastening Iftar (to break fasting) is a great way to have a healthy day and night during Ramadan.
- Breaking your fast with dates or water to have a slow increase in your blood sugar breaking your fast, do your Maghrib Salaht then eat your Iftar meal.
- Having dates and some yoghurt is a great Suhur along with any protein source and limited salt amount is always a satisfactory way to maintain energy levels throughout your day of Sawm.
- Slow chewing and eating while gathering for meals with family and friends is the Sunnah so try it.
6. Don’t use ready-made salad dressings
Don’t use ready-made salad dressings which are always high in preservatives, calories, fat and salt. Instead use the simple olive oil and natural lemon juice as a healthy alternative.
7. Do Hydrate
Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. This cannot be emphasized enough as it is key to maintain your biological processes up and running as well as calorie burning throughout your Sawm.
8. Never Get Food-shop nor eat While Hungry
Never food-shop or plan your meals while hungry as you will always definitely over do.
9. Don’t over or under sleep
Don’t over or under sleep as both mess with your metabolism and lead to fat storing mode.
10. Keep Food natural
Keep it natural. Fill up on veggies, fruits and proteins, and avoid unhealthy snacks, spices, fast food, preserved foods and processed sugar.
11. Do Exercising
About Exercising; it needs to be in moderation and in efficient times:
- Staying active is great even if one doesn’t exercise.
- Walking is the simplest form of exercising and it’s helpful to have a step counter to maintain enthusiasm and have a sense of accomplishment.
- Trainers recommend exercising 90 minutes before Iftar, after Taraweeh around midnight or two hours before Suhur. You may include stretching then weight training, speed, strength and cardio exercises.
- Being consistent and patient is key to avoid relapses out of frustration.
Conclusion – Try the best strategy to lose weight during Ramadan
In conclusion, to lose weight during Ramadan, it is best to create a caloric deficit by combining both strategies; decreasing calorie intake and increasing daily activity to burn more calories consumed and stored fat.
Those ten strategies are the best because you are following the Sunnah of the Messenger PBUH and the healthy advice of doctors and nutritionists. Try it and tell us of your experience on our social media and live chat. Ramadan Mubarak